Monday, April 1, 2013

Sons of Trimurti

This is my first post, so I figure I should tell you a little bit about myself.  I have way too many labels that can be attached to me to sit here and write them all out.  For now I will say I am a proud gay man, a Tribal Bellydancer (and teacher), and a Sister of Perpetual Indulgence.  (I keep myself very busy.)
 
The Bellydance community in the US is female dominated. Partly as a way to promote female empowerment, and to allow women to be present in their bodies in an environment free of shame, and the lasciviousness of men. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that women can not be lascivious, or that all males are base creatures incapable of controlling their instincts/hormones. I am saying that this was the case. Personally I looked for years to find a bellydance teacher that would accept a male student. I even had a prospective teacher physically laugh and hang up the phone on me. I kept at it though, and finally found one, and then several others. Now a few years later, I am a certified instructor myself.
I find that the overall attitudes are changing. My dance sisters are more and more accepting. A few might be hesitant to dance with a guy, but most are more curious than concerned. It quickly becomes obvious to people that I am interested in the dance, and not some sort of exxxtracurriculars if you catch my drift. Truly, the fun shift now is when my non-dance contemporaries hear that I am a Bellydancer... They must imagine me in some bond girl inspired cabaret outfit, and what an image that would be covering my frame. Sometimes, I ease their minds, and explain what I actually do. Sometimes, I can't be bothered.
 
This weekend was Cues and Tattoos, an annual tribal bellydance festival in Seattle. I had the pleasure of dancing with 3 other male ATS Dancers. I believe it is the first time in the country that a quartet of male ATS dancers have performed together. The performance brought members of the audience to tears. It really was momentous. 
 
We called ourselves The Sons of Trimurti.  The Trimurti is the hindi triune god form comprised of Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu, or the divine male energy.  Our goal was to embody the power of the male form blended with the grace and elegance of ATS.  I think we did a pretty good job of it.  This performance could be a herald of great things to come.  I was given a challenge to continue on this path I have claimed for myself, and to see where it leads.  I accept that challenge willingly, and look forward to its twists and turns.
 

4 comments:

  1. I saw your video this morning and was delighted and amazed. As a newer ATS teacher, this solidified my decision to accept males into my classes. I love the presentation of the ATS art with a distinctly male feel. And how it looks different on you than women, yet powerful and brotherly in a beautiful way. I am definitely a fan. I am glad you're blogging as you're not on facebook. I would support and promote your fan page if you were. Will you be at Tribalfest in Sebastopol this year? If so, it would be my extreme honor to meet you! And now, I'm going to share your video on my studio site, Joyful Squid Tribal Dance! Zaghareets and love to you fellows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/russ.a.martin Just not as Lucent.

      I am still trying to figure out if i will be making it to Tribalfest or not. It snuck up on me somehow.

      I am so happy to hear that you plan on taking male students, and I am happy to hear that our performance brought you joy. Really it is my honor to be able to dance in this form of empowerment, and to be able to use it to empower men as well as women.

      Thank you for reading,
      Russ/Lucent/Domine

      Delete
  2. I just wanted to say how much I ADORED your performance. ^_^ I just caught it thanks to a friend on FB, and was absolutely enchanted. Y'all were powerful and lyrical and amazing, and I loved your spirit and your style. ^_^ I hope you keep dancing indeed, and that you guys get to dance together sometime again soon; 'cause you were all FABOO.

    If you want, you can totally witness me fan-girling on my blog @ bigtimebellydance.tumblr.com. ^_^ I'm a visually-impaired, plus-size dancer, so I get what it feels like to feel kind of on the outskirts of things sometimes, and always love supporting my fabulous male bellydancers. ♥♥♥

    *huge cheers and happy yips*
    Ylluria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dear.

      I read your blog, and enjoyed it. It is so lovely to be able to inspire others with a medium that has so inspired me. It was also lovely to be able to share that with other people. Thank you for sharing it, and thank you for your kind words.

      Keep on moving.

      ~Lucent/Russ
      (https://www.facebook.com/russ.a.martin)

      Delete